Saturday, July 4, 2009

Independence Day in West Bank

I have been on the receiving end of some very shocking perspectives here in the West Bank. The people here are so nice and welcoming, they have been very good to me overall and I am thankful for that. I even got the chance to play a little grand theft auto today at the pool (this was the 5th time they took me there). I discovered why it was such a popular place; apparently the israelis have constructed a wall surrounding the city of qalqilya, and there is only one entrance. This obstruction makes travelling very very difficult. I think it has also radicalized the population more than they would be otherwise. An older man told me today that 20 years ago many people came to qalqilya, then relations with israel deteriorated and the israelis built a wall on the green line and a wall surrounding the city. The residents have advized me to stay away from the city wall at night, lest i be shot. They say it is like living in one big prison, under "city arrest" if you like. Apparently the city I am in is a lot more conservative than other cities in west bank. 20 years ago a cinema was built here and they burned it to the ground in 2 days because the residents deemed it a corrupting influence. Like some places in the south except with churches, there is a mosque on every corner they say. Alcohol is prohibited here, and there are no night clubs whatsoever. The only thing there is to do it seems is to go to the zoo and go swimming. However, I will be eternally grateful for the people here in Qalqilya. I was virtually abandoned in Israel, with the exception of one woman who gave me some help. Here in the West Bank, every person I meet almost who I speak to at any length wants to help me. I think this is in large part because I am staying with one of the town's most respected citizens, but whatever the reason I am grateful. The man I am staying with seems to command respect from all sides, and is negotiating a reconciliation agreement between Fatah and Hamas on a couple weeks to try and get weapons out of the hands of political factions. He is in line to be a national minister very soon. The diet here is some kind of mix between meat lovers and extreme vegan. I know it sounds strange, but I have eaten more hummus than anytime in my life, and have consumed more meat than I do in 2 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment