Thursday, July 9, 2009

Free Shoes because of the red, white, and blue

I woke up very late today, like noon or so. We went to the university (Birzeit) and met with a professor, who was about 25 years old. She helped us narrow down our applicant pool to a group that we will interview on Monday. I made a huge cultural mistake today. She had to bribe the dean of the college with one of her 2 pieces of pizza so that he would stay later for us to get there. She then offered me her other slice. I had no idea that this was her lunch. She asked me if I wanted it, and I said yes and ate it, all while Jehad had a look of horror on his face. He told me after the fact that Arabs will be more generous than they intend in everyday conversation, and you are supposed to refuse their generous offer 3 times, and if they continue with their insisting after this, it is rude to refuse and you should accept. However, I did not know this rule and said yes on the first time, which is apparently pretty taboo. We then drove to the city and hung out in a coffee/hang out place (which is like being in a cloud of cigarette smoke, the youth here smoke like the 1950s in America). After that we went to meet my host father at a shoe shop. He needed some new shoes, and the Arab owner found out I was American. I knew something was up because in their conversation he started saying Ameriqi, Ameriqi!!! I wasn't sure what to expect. He told me that he was an American citizen and that the West Bank is his second home. He is probably the most enthusiastic American I've ever met. He said "God Bless America!!" and other things. He also asked me if I knew Fairfax County in Northern Virginia, and said "you know Virginia is for lovers," which is the state slogan. He showed me photos of his home in America, and said his path to citizenship was complicated. He then asked me what was on American money, and I replied "in God we trust. " He then revealed a large tatoo on his arm of an American eagle and the phrase in God we trust. He told my host father that since he was hosting an American, the shoes, which were leather and about $25, would be free. My host father did the proper Arab ritual of rejecting 3 times, and the owner forced him to accept the gift. He told him that the shoes were a gift from me. This goes to show you that Americans come in all different stripes and circumstances. The man told me that if I needed anything while I was in Ramallah that he would gladly take care of it for me. Someone remarked that half of the city here is American. Many come here for a summer or something. My trainer in the gym is also American, and seems to know workout terminology better in English than Arabic. The Arab Americans here share a love of peace and their new country. I would not be surprised if I did not see a 4th of July celebration here.

No comments:

Post a Comment