Thursday, July 2, 2009

Chaos, adventure, and comfort

I arrived in Tel Aviv Ben Gurion airport at 3:20 am, and was completely exhausted. I went to the front part of the airport to meet the Israeli who was supposed to pick me up, except he was not there. I was a little worried, but have learned that worrying does little good in international adventures, so I just sat in a chair and relaxed a while. I waited for about 2 hours, then decided that I needed to take some action, so I bought an Israeli cell phone for way too much, but I needed it badly, so I swallowed the hefty fee I had to pay for it. I had written down all the contact info of the people here, and I contacted them. I got in contact with my friend from West Bank and he told me that Palestinians were forbidden to go to the airport, so I would have to take a taxi. I took one to the israeli city of Kfar Saba, and met the people at the office of the mayor there. It is about the size of Gainesville, FL. The man I was supposed to meet did not answer his phone, and I was unable to find him after much searching. I sat down in a park, and just went to sleep. After that, I found that I was hungry, so I went to McDonald's, which was a nerve racking experience. The Israeli guard suspected me of being a bad person, so he tried to tell me something, and I responded "English." Lucky for me, he understood and scanned me with a metal detector, and let me through. I waited there, and went to the mayor's office again, where a Palestinian in a Mercedes with an Israeli passport picked me up and drove me to the checkpoint. I walked through and was questioned intensely before they allowed me to go. I walked a few hundred meters and met my friend in the West Bank, Marouf Zahran, the deputy minister of civil affairs, kind of like the undersecretary of state maybe. He gave me a wonderful dinner and a place to sleep, and a warm shower! I was very content, and slept for 13 hours.

2 comments:

  1. wow travis it sounds like you kept your head well despite some frustrating situations, you are a seasoned traveler already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good lord! I can't believe you slept on a bench! How fascinating!!!!

    ReplyDelete